Regenerative Medicine deals with the process of restoring, repairing and improving normal functions of damaged tissues and organs, and engineering new tissues and organs to extend and improve quality of life. In Precision Medicine, diagnostic testing and prevention strategies of diseases are applied to clinics, considering genetic and environmental variability, among other factors.
Graduates in Bioengineering: Regenerative and Precision Medicine combine aspects of genomics, genetics, nanomedicine, diagnosis, data science and information science to the development of new therapies, devices and systems to improve health care and, therefore, promote the development of society.
Bioengineering: Regenerative and Precision Medicine has a duration of 4 semesters (2 years), equivalent to 120 ECTS, with the curriculum component described below.
Note: The curriculum distribution, which is shown over the two years, may be different according to the optional modules chosen.
Core Structure (60 to 78 ECTS ECTS)
Bioengineering: Regenerative and Precision Medicine (Major) improves the capabilities and knowledge acquired in two streams:
- Regenerative Medicine, which includes Biology, Stem Cells Engineering, Genetics Therapy, Biomaterials and Nanosciences.
- Precision Medicine, which includes Genomics, Genetics and Epigenetics of disease and its diagnosis and treatment of precision, Nanomedicine and also computing fields related to the generation and analysis of big data through methods such as Automatic Learning and Data Science.
Free options (12 to 30 ECTS ECTS)
Part of the curriculum is of fully free choice, i.e., students may choose subjects not only in Bioengineering, but also in any other scientific field offered by Técnico.
This component offers the possibility to take a Minor – a number of multidisciplinary courses – which is equivalent to 18 ECTS credits. The offer cuts across all programmes offered by Técnico.
Extra-curricular activities may also be credited, to a maximum of 6 ECTS credit points.
Dissertation (30 ECTS)
The dissertation is the final assignment of the study cycle, which allows students to focus and specialise on a specific subject that may take any of these formats:
- Scientific thesis
- Internship at a company
- Capstone project
The MSc in Bioengineering: Regenerative and Precision Medicine is intended for graduates with a background in Science, Technology and Engineering related to Bioengineering, Biological Sciences and Health such as Biology, Biochemistry, Biomedical Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences, as well as Chemistry, Computing and related areas.
The programme is taught in Portuguese however may there be international or mobility students enrolled, the curricular units will be taught in English.
As a Técnico MSc graduate in Bioengineering: Regenerative and Precision Medicine, you are prepared to pursue a research career in industry or academia, or work in healthcare research institutions and hospitals, as well as in the pharmaceutical and biotechnological sectors.
You may also pursue a career in emerging areas of Bioengineering such as the development of:
- innovative and customized clinical applications,
- bioprocesses and advanced products for molecular, cell and tissue engineering-based therapies;
- pharmacological diagnosis and research that may respond to diseases for which there are not currently effective approaches and therapeutics.
Graduates of this area have held positions in areas such as consultancy, leadership and management as well as vocational training and teaching.
To apply for a 2nd Cycle at Técnico you should:
- hold a 1st cycle degree in Science and Technology (except in the case of the 2nd cycle in Architecture, which requires a 1st cycle degree in Architecture);
- hold an academic, scientific or professional curriculum that certifies their ability to do the MSc programme which they apply for.
Candidates are selected according to these criteria:
- affinity between the degree they hold and the programme they apply for;
- type of degree they hold;
- academic success in the programme they attended.
Note: if requested, we may appreciate the academic, scientific or professional curriculum and the candidate’s performance during the interview.
Técnico students stimulate autonomously and proactively projects that act as a complement to their academic background. For example, the Students’ Organisations provide them with skills and added value, making them more competitive in the labour market.