The application procedure for the EU-funded Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters Programme in Marine and Maritime Intelligent Robotics (MIR) is now open.
The MIR Master, innovatively combines Robotics and Artificial Intelligence in the context of advancing marine and maritime science and their technological applications. MIR Master programme aims at building the capacity of future engineers to enable advancements in the development and operation of new robotics systems with far-reaching impact on techniques necessary for ocean exploration and exploitation.
The challenges that lie ahead can only be met by bringing together fast-paced developments in robotics and Artificial Intelligence (AI) methods with a view to sustained autonomy and on-line decision making in the unforgiving marine environment. The MIR Master’s is designed to provide training in state-of-the-art applied robotics targeted at enhancing the efficiency, health, safety and environmental performance of the offshore industry, maritime operations, and marine science studies.
A MIR Graduate upon completion of the programme will have a deepened understanding of marine processes and challenges in order to develop robots that will interact in-and-with it, as well as develop technological solutions to mitigate and adapt to future environmental challenges (such as pollution, climate change impacts, etc.)
MIR students can specialize in one of the 3 study tracks :
• Safe autonomous subsea operations;
• Cooperative marine robotics for scientific and commercial applications; or
• Applied robotics for underwater intervention missions.
• Candidates will study one year in France at UTLN (Univ. Toulon), after which students will choose between NTNU (Norwegian University of Science and Technology) in Norway, IST (Instituto Superior Técnico) from University of Lisbon in Portugal, or UJI (Univ. Jaume I) in Spain, for their 2nd year specialization.
•Master thesis can be conducted in any of the 50 associate partner industry or research institutions.
• Students from all over the world, including students from IST.
• Students must have with a strong background in Mathematics and B2 level of English (please check the admission requirements).
• The online application closes on the
9th of January 23rd January, 2020.
Erasmus Mundus Scholarships
• 22 prestigious Erasmus Mundus Scholarships will be granted this year.
• The Erasmus Mundus scholarship covers the participation costs (incl. tuition fees), a monthly allowance for living costs and a contribution to travel and installation costs.
• Each successful candidate granted an Erasmus Mundus scholarship, will receive 1.000 €/month for living costs during the 24 months duration of the program. The scholarship also includes a contribution to travel and installation costs of up to 7.000 €.
For more information, please visit www.master-mir.eu
Should you have further questions, please feel free to contact:
At IST / Univ. Lisbon, PT
Assoc.Professor António Pascoal
Tel 00351 21 8418051
At UTLN, FR
Dr. Kalliopi Pediaditi Prud’homme
Tel 0033 (0) 634905885