Master Programme in Information and Enterprise Systems addresses the study of business technologies and systems, as well as the functioning of organisations, in order to seek solutions to the needs of constant technological innovation. Técnico MSc students thus acquire skills that enable them to develop methodologies for exploration, application and evaluation of technologies adjusted to the study of intervention in scenarios of digital use, exploration and experimentation in an organisational context.
The course is in distance learning, mostly online, focusing only on mandatory intensive face-to-face sessions lasting about one week per year. It is a partnership between Instituto Superior Técnico and Universidade Aberta.
The MSc Programme in Information and Enterprise Systems has a duration of 4 semesters (2 years), which is equivalent to 120 ECTS credits, and is made up of the structure depicted below.
1st year (ECTS)
2nd year (ECTS)
Core Structure (48 ECTS)
The MSc Programme in Information and Enterprise Systems (Major) deepens knowledge in topics such as Information Systems (modeling and usability), Information and Communication Technologies, Business Technological Architectures, Data Science, among others.
Free options (30 ECTS)
Part of the curriculum is of fully free choice, i.e., students may choose subjects not only in this Master Programme, but also in any other scientific field offered by Técnico.
This component offers the possibility to take a Minor – a number of multidisciplinary courses – which is equivalent to 18 ECTS credits. The offer cuts across all programmes offered by Técnico.
Extra-curricular activities may also be credited, to a maximum of 6 ECTS credit points.
Project (12 ECTS)
During the Master’s Project, students develop the thesis proposal to be developed in the Dissertation, including the literature review, objectives and work planning.
Dissertation (30 ECTS)
The dissertation is the final work of the Master, allowing each student to focus on and specialize in a specific subject.
The Master Programme in Information and Enterprise Systems is targeted at graduates in any field that want to develop skills in this area or update their knowledge.
The programme is taught in Portuguese however may there be international or mobility students enrolled, the curricular units will be taught in English.
Técnico MSc graduates in Information and Enterprise Systems are prepared to develop work in:
- Management of organisational intervention projects aimed at the adoption and good use of information and information technologies, and business systems;
- Design and integration of technological solutions considering the broadest domains of organisational intervention;
- Intervention in the experimentation and integration of information and technologies and business systems as well as information services in an organisational context;
- Design and implementation of experimentation/research projects.
To apply for a 2nd Cycle at Técnico you should:
- hold a 1st cycle degree in Science and Technology (except in the case of the 2nd cycle in Architecture, which requires a 1st cycle degree in Architecture);
- hold an academic, scientific or professional curriculum that certifies their ability to do the MSc programme which they apply for.
Candidates are selected according to these criteria:
- affinity between the degree they hold and the programme they apply for;
- type of degree they hold;
- academic success in the programme they attended.
Note: if requested, we may appreciate the academic, scientific or professional curriculum and the candidate’s performance during the interview.
Técnico students stimulate autonomously and proactively projects that act as a complement to their academic background. For example, the Students’ Organisations provide them with skills and added value, making them more competitive in the labour market.