12 finalists have been selected in the 1st edition of the 3-Minute Thesis competition and will be competing for the podium on May 30th, at the National Museum of Natural History and Science of Universidade de Lisboa (ULisboa), at 6.30 p.m. Five Técnico PhD students are among the finalists.
In this competition, promoted by ULisboa, which received about 150 applications, the PhD students were challenged to explain the impact of their research – importance and impact – in three minutes and using a single slide.
Before the competition, the students could attend a science communication workshop organised by ULisboa. Among the trainers were two members of the communication team of Instituto Superior Técnico. The competition is a partnership between ULisboa and the Público newspaper, in which ULisboa PhD students are given the opportunity to share their research within the series “Conta-nos a tua ciência” (“Tell us about your science”).
The five Técnico students who have qualified for the finals are:
- Diogo Nunes – Computer Science and Engineering PhD student at Instituto de Engenharia de Sistemas e Computadores: Investigação e Desenvolvimento em Lisboa (INESC ID);
- João Januário – Civil Engineering PhD student at the Civil Engineering Research and Innovation for Sustainability (CERIS);
- Maria Catarina Botelho – Electrical and Computer Engineering PhD student at Instituto de Engenharia de Sistemas e Computadores: Investigação e Desenvolvimento em Lisboa (INESC ID);
- Matteo Pisano – Physics PhD student at the Laboratory of Instrumentation and Experimental Particle Physics (LIP);
- Rita Castel’Branco – Architecture PhD student at the Center for Innovation in Territory, Urbanism, and Architecture (CiTUA)